Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Reflection

Nearing the conclusion of this project, I feel more fortunate to be alive today in this country more than ever. After all this time I really thought it was a huge drag to haul myself to school every morning. Now I realize that children in other countries would do anything for a mere chance of education. Knowing that the United Nations are putting every ounce of effort they can into making the world better eases me. I thought people were joking when they said corporations are corrupted and those little political cartoons I'd read in social class were exaggerated to an extent. It frightens me to think that some T-shirts hanging in the dark corner of my closet were once in sweatshop factories sewn by children for such a crappy pay.

It's only four more years until 2015 comes. All this strife and chaos in the world makes me feel that we need more time to accomplish these goals. Poverty is only one of the major issues. Another goal is environment sustainability, and I honestly think that this goal is impossible. Capitalism requires infinite growth which needs infinite resources, unfortunately we only have a finite amount of resources. We've only hit the industrial age like a century ago and all this chaotic destruction is making me wonder if our little blue planet is going to last another century. Actually, on second thought I take that back, our planet is going to last forever. Humans on the other hand, yeah us, were in deep trouble. Our planet has been through tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes, ice ages, reversal of the magnetic poles and a bunch of other crap and we think a bunch of plastic bags in landfills is going affect our planet? Simply put, the planet is fine my dear reader, but the humans are screwed.
Recognize this guy from Ice Age 2?


Go here: http://www.worldometers.info/ take a good look.
 I didn't know a page full of numbers could amuse me for so long. Watching some of those numbers rise made me go holy crap, especially the cigarettes. Didn't know people liked to smoke that much.

Knowing all of this makes me think what can a mere sixteen year old boy do to prevent the catastrophic, inevitable end of the human race. Well despite all the research I've done on the current events of today, I honestly have no idea.  I mean come on, I'm only sixteen. However, today I choose to live in a more dignified way. I won't be so wasteful and inconsiderate of my surroundings. Now I'll live the rest of my life knowing the dark side of corporations like Wal-Mart..



No comments:

Post a Comment

War

Hayek vs. Keynes

Followers